God is the Author of my life's story, and I'm excited to see what He has in store as each new chapter unfolds. I don't yet know the ending, but I trust that it will be better than I ever imagined! I invite you to read along...

Pages

4/04/2008

The Enduring Things


This poem by my favorite poet, Grace Noll Crowell, really expresses the cry of my heart today...I want to tear the grappling hooks of the world and its trivialities off my heart, thus to go forth, unhindered by worthless pursuits, to seek only the things that matter in eternity...


"The Enduring Things"

I will lay hold upon enduring things.
I am wearied with the din and noise and fret.
About me close, distracting, meager things
Grapple my soul -- Lord, help me to forget
The clamor of it. Grant me peace that stills,
Deep peace of quietness, and hope that cheers.
I lift my eyes to Thy strength-giving hills,
Steeped in the light of far eternal years.

I will lay hold upon enduring things:
Faith that illumines though the eyes be blind,
And joy continuous, a heart that sings,
And love that suffers long -- yet still is kind.
They are such paltry things I've bartered for,
I am soul-sick with the weariness it brings.
Now -- with high-lifted face I turn me, for
I will lay hold upon enduring things.

No comments: