God is the Author of my life's story, and I'm excited to see what He has in store as each new chapter unfolds. I don't yet know the ending, but I trust that it will be better than I ever imagined! I invite you to read along...

Pages

8/06/2006

I think I've discovered a new talent!

Yesterday evening I attended a baby shower for Andrew's sister Evelina, who is due to give birth to our nephew Austin Samuel in about a month... I was asked beforehand to make a "diaper cake" as a decoration, so I looked online for inspiration and got carried away with how fun and easy it was and ended up making three of them! The idea is for it to be something beautiful but practical -- and for a new mom, what could be more practical than diapers? ;-)

The "ingredients" for these cakes are simple: rolled up diapers (cloth or disposable, depending on what the new mom plans to use) and whatever you want to decorate them with. I used straight pins to hold the ribbon and fringe on. This decoration is very easy to make (I put all three cakes together in less than two hours, including driving to Walmart to get the supplies). But it looks so elegant! Similar cakes like this sell for around $40 to $60 online, but it's so much less expensive to make your own. You could probably also do the same thing for a bridal shower using rolled-up new white washcloths or cloth napkins.

So, without any further ado, I give you my first attempt at diaper cake making -- Evelina's favorite flower is the calla lily, so I incorporated them in two of the cakes (click on the pics to see them larger):

























































So what do you think? Maybe I should make some more and sell them at craft fairs this coming holiday season! That would be kind of fun!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey, thanks for stopping by! Very cute idea, by the way!

Suzanne said...

These are adorable! Thanks for the idea. Yes, you should sell them at craft fairs...especially since they sell for $40-$60!

Anna H. said...

Wow, Sarah, I am very impressed!! They are very elegant and beautiful. And, are those bottle bouquets in the background? I'm glad you had a good time. Love ya!

Sarah said...

Those were just little fake baby bottles filled with body wash that Olga put together as favors for the guests to take home!

Jenn said...

You could definitely sell those. Very cute, a lot of non-crafty people would buy them rather than make those themselves! :)