God is the Author of my life's story, and I'm excited to see what He has in store as each new chapter unfolds. I don't yet know the ending, but I trust that it will be better than I ever imagined! I invite you to read along...

Pages

12/12/2005

What a sandwich!

Yesterday, after church, Andrew and I decided to drive up to Auburn, one of the historic mining towns in the Foothills around here. It's about a 40 minute drive from our house. The weather was beautiful -- blue sky, sunshine, and temps around 60 degrees.

We actually stopped in "Old Auburn," the historical, "touristy" part of town. We had lunch first, at a little place called Mary Belle's Restaurant. Then we window shopped for a while, and got some specialty coffees to drink while we walked. Here's what part of Main Street looks like:













It was very relaxing, and one of my favorite ways to spend an afternoon...just Andrew and me, exploring a town we've never explored before. If you can call walking up and down Main Street checking out all the little shops "exploring!" We actually did have to walk a ways up a side street to get to the coffee shop someone told us about, which took us past the Placer County Courthouse -- isn't it impressive?















But back to Mary Belle's Restaurant. When I first opened the menu, nothing was sounding good. I wasn't extremely hungry, which didn't help. I decided on the Reuben sandwich. That turned out to be a very good decision.

This Reuben sandwich was delicious! The rye bread was grilled to a point of crunchy, buttery perfection and sprinkled with parmesan cheese. The sandwich was filled with a warm, tasty combination of chopped corned beef, sauerkraut, grilled onions, and melted Swiss cheese. What I especially loved was how they didn't pack the sandwich so full that I could barely get my mouth around it. The amount of "sandwich filling" was just right. The Reuben looked something like this (although this is not a picture of the actual item I ate):









As I began to eat the sandwich, I commented to Andrew how good it was. I offered him a bite, and he agreed that it was, indeed, very tasty. I told him I would be craving this Reuben from Mary Belle's in the future. I speculated that someday, I will be at some restaurant, and order a Reuben, and it will arrive at my table, and I will take a bite, and I will comment that "it's nowhere near as good as that one I had in Old Auburn." I said that one day I'm going to say to him, "Can we go back to Old Auburn for lunch so I can have another Reuben sandwich from Mary Belle's?"

(Alas, my prediction came true, for I am craving another one of those sandwiches as I type. I even stopped by our local family restaurant on the way home today to see about getting a Reuben to go -- although I knew it would not surpass the one I had yesterday -- and they didn't even have them on the menu!)

The waitress at Mary Belle's came to the table and asked how everything was. I told her, in short,

"This is pretty much the best Reuben sandwich ever made."

(I know, I know...like anyone could even know that!) :-)

May all your sandwiches be delicious!

2 comments:

Anna H. said...

Sarah, this post reminds me of something out of a book. You were definitely in the mood to write, huh? Too bad I don't like Reuben sandwiches, otherwise this post would have made my mouth water. :-)

Sarah said...

What's funny is that seperately, I don't like all the components of a Reuben sandwich. I don't really care for corned beef, I'd pass on sauerkraut usually, and I can't say I like rye bread. But for some reason, the combination of all three pleases my palate!

Yeah, guess I was in a writing mood! ;-)