God is the Author of my life's story, and I'm excited to see what He has in store as each new chapter unfolds. I don't yet know the ending, but I trust that it will be better than I ever imagined! I invite you to read along...

Pages

1/09/2006

I love surprises (even ruined ones)!

In order to understand this story, you need to know that my 30th birthday is coming up this weekend (scary, I know).

So I was sitting at my computer yesterday afternoon, checking e-mail or something important like that. Unlike my dear, sweet husband Andrew, I'm not oblivious to the world when I'm working; I still pay attention to what's going on around me (one of the perks of being a woman).

I heard Andrew make a phone call in his office, right across the hall, and then, while he was still talking on the phone (trying to keep his voice down, I noticed) he walked down the hall and went into the garage to continue the conversation, shutting the door behind him. He does not usually conduct his telephone conversations in the garage.

Immediately my sharp little mind concluded he was planning something for my birthday that he didn't want me to hear. Maybe he was ordering flowers to be delivered. Maybe he was making reservations for a nice dinner or a trip somewhere. My mind immediately jumped into Sherlock Holmes mode, and I thought, "Maybe the phone number for whatever place he called is still up on his computer screen (assuming that he looked something up online)." So without stopping to think about the implications, I rushed across the hall to his office and looked at his computer.

On the screen was a confirmation e-mail from Southwest Airlines. Again, not pausing to think about the fact that I was about to ruin a good surprise, I glanced down at the passenger names and saw my parents' names -- at that point, I began to feel guilty and didn't read the name under theirs (although I saw that there were more names there). I jaunted back over to my office as Andrew came out of the garage, still on the phone. I heard him give a confirmation number and ask about adding another person for the same rate (why he thought I would not be paying attention to his conversation, I have no idea).

At this point, I had a decision to make. I could pretend I didn't know about the surprise, keep it in all week and then act really surprised when I saw my family this weekend, or I could come clean with Andrew and admit that I had peeked. The idea of such deception didn't sit well with me, so I decided to confess. I jokingly tried to blame Andrew for not being more careful about calling the airline with me in the house (I notice EVERYTHING, especially anything out of the ordinary). But I had to admit that I was also to blame for giving in to my curiousity about who he had called! I told him it was still a surprise, whether I found out now or on Sunday, and that it was a really great gift (which truly, it is). I know he was a little disappointed, because he had been looking forward to my reaction when I saw them. To be honest, I was a little mad at myself for spoiling such a great surprise.

But in the end, I think that my knowing about their coming will work out for the best. My mom, dad, brother, two sisters, and baby nephew will all be spending Sunday night here, so I am glad for the chance to clean my house and get the guest room ready and have enough food in the fridge for them! It'll save my dad some money on postage, too, as he was going to mail me my birthday presents so they'd arrive by my birthday (which is Saturday), so I wouldn't get suspicious.

Moral of the story for Andrew: Always conduct secret surprise conversations at the office where curious wife cannot overhear!

Moral of the story for me: Learn to ignore secret surprise conversations I might happen to overhear!

P.S. I'M SO EXCITED THAT MY FAMILY WILL ALL BE HERE FOR MY BIRTHDAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

No comments: